Radio On-Air Announcer & Sports Play-by-Play
Announces and plans on-air radio shows to inform, entertain, and engage local listening audiences. Also performs additional duties such as production, assisting program/music/promotions managers, operating transmitter, writing & producing spots and digital ads.
- Associate's degree in related field or equivalent from two-year College or technical school.
- Two years of on-air & technical experience
- Equivalent combo of education and experience will be considered
Skills and Abilities:
- Outgoing personality with a clear and distinct speaking voice
- Sharp wit and the ability to think quickly on one’s feet
- Excellent reading and ad-libbing skills
- Clear & concise writing skills
- Well versed in multi-platform content development
- Excellent skills with computer, editing equipment, and other broadcast-related devices
- Great with Social Media
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Prepares and creates a topical show by gathering info from wire copy, periodicals, computer, and other media.
- Reads news flash to keep audience informed of important events.
- Records & edits interviews of guests, musicians, or other guests/personalities
- Interviews guest, and moderates panel or discussion show to entertain audience.
- Play-by-Play sporting events and writing short sporting reports for air on the radio.
- Answers phone lines, interviews audience members who telephone musical requests.
- Airs contests to the specs of the program or promotions directors.
- Plans and stages community events, including hosting/assisting at charity and community functions. Attends live, in-person appearances as requested by the station or clients.
- Provides live reports from site of event. Sets up equipment for remotes/events.
- Maintains and builds a positive cooperative attitude within the station and the local community.
- Ensures logged commercials, promotions, sweepers and all programming elements essential to the station's operations are aired.
- Operates control console.
- Performs commercial production.
- Follows and enforces FCC regulations, station & company policies, including implementing station's / state's EAS procedures.
- Writes script, contests, and interview questions.
- Memorizes script, reads, or ad-libs to identify station, introduce and close shows, and announce station breaks, commercials, or PSA's.
- Performs additional duties such as production, website & social media updates, assisting program/music/promotions managers, operating radio transmitter, or writing advertising copy. Plays music as specified by ops director and music log.
- Maintains flexibility to pick up/change shifts as necessary. Must be available to work weekends, holidays, etc. on a regular basis.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: From $28,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Relocation assistance
- Retirement plan
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Weekend availability
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Denison, IA 51442: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- Journalism: 1 year (Preferred)
- Driver's License (Preferred)
Work Location: One location